Essential oils are used for multiple purposes such as aromatherapy, hair growth, skin care, etc. Still, you may have heard about both the positive and negative effects of essential oils. So, how to choose the best essential oil for your specific need?
In this article, you will learn everything you need to know about essential oils. Starting with the basics, what are essential oils?
What Are Essential Oils?
Essential oils are basically the chemicals extracted from various parts of plants such as leaves, flowers, etc. It is done through varying methods such as distillation, cold press, and more. The extracted compound (oils) carries the goodness of the plant they have been taken from.
Why Are Essential Oils Important?
Essential oils have been playing a significant role in aromatherapy as well as hair and skincare. When you smell the scent of these oils, it stimulates a sense of relief and relaxation in your body. Apart from that, several types of essential oils are also used for medicinal purposes.
These oils are blended with fragrance-free light oils such as coconut, jojoba, etc., to be fit for use. So, which essential oil is best for your body? You cannot use just any of the essential oils available. Moreover, all of them may not even prove to be effective enough.
What Is the Best Essential Oil?
The benefit of essential oil depends upon the source it has been extracted from. Here are a few top selections for the best essential oil.
- Lavender: It is one of the universal essential oils that have a plethora of benefits and uses. From relieving stress and headaches through aromatherapy to reducing itching and other skin ailments, it is an all-rounder. With a herbaceous yet sweet and floral fragrance, it is indeed the best essential oil.
- Rose: From skin treatment to mood upliftment, rose is indeed a beneficial essential oil. The sweet and floral aroma of rose helps reduce anxiety and instantly cheer you up. Furthermore, it is an excellent remedy for acne and gives clear skin when applied in small quantities.
- Sandalwood: From stimulating hair growth and helping with indigestion and diarrhea to treating anxiety and fatigue, sandalwood has a multitude of benefits. It is an excellent essential oil for reducing oil, dark spots, and acne, resulting in brighter skin.
- Peppermint: If you are looking forward to freshen-up your mood, peppermint is the best essential oil for you. The herbal and minty scent of this oil will instantly enrich your mind and body. It can also help alleviate muscle pain and provide relief from itchiness and sunburn.
- Ylang-Ylang: The strong and spicy aroma of ylang-ylang is an excellent aid for relaxation. When used topically, it is the best essential oil for hair growth, wound healing, and reducing scars. The oil is also an excellent insect repellent.
- Jasmine: Another all-rounder, jasmine essential oil has multiple mental and physical benefits. When used in aromatherapy, it helps to reduce stress and improve your sleep. You can also use this oil to nourish your hair and moisturize your skin.
We carry hundreds of essential oils – check them out.
Are Essential Oils Dangerous?
Despite the excellent benefits of essential oils, they may be harmful when used excessively. Also, if you do not use the essential oil in the appropriate manner, it may be dangerous for your health. Furthermore, pregnant women must consult the doctor before using any of these.
Several manufactures add artificial chemicals to the oils and sell them as pure ones. As a result, using essential oils can end badly, causing burns, blisters, and more. So, how to use essential oils? Here are a few tips for using the best essential oil.
My Small Store essential oils are 100% pure, we provide an official certificate upon request.
Tips to Use the Best Essential Oil
- Thoroughly check the essential oil before purchasing. It must be pure, chemical-free, and from a reputable company – like My small Store 🙂
- Your essential oil must be tested by a 3rd party and a Certificates of Analysis, Country of Origin of the plant(s) used, and a Safety Data Sheet should be available.
Careful, we have seen “cheap” oils sold online on a large marketplace with mentions “FDA approved” – but essential oils are not regulated by the Food and Drug Administration thus no FDA approved.
- Ensure that you are not allergic to any of the ingredients. Use on a small patch before applying to a larger area of the body.
- We do not recommend ingesting essential oils – unless it’s specified for consumption like Cinnamon Bark, Clove, Marjoram, Thyme, Lime, Helichrysum, Black Pepper, Fennel, etc. Remember that oils are very concentrated and can burn your mouth, esophagus, gut lining, and beyond in the digestive tract. The best is to consult with a Medical Doctor before adding essential oils to your favorite beverage or food.
- Use oils on babies and children.
- Apply too much undiluted essential oil on the skin – it may burn.
- Use oils during pregnancy.
- Use essential oils with synthetic ingredients.
- Put these oils in the eyes, ears, genitals, or open wounds.
Essential oils are known to have more benefits than you can count. From reducing stress and anxiety to promoting the health of skin and hair, they have significant uses. Most importantly, essential oils have proven beneficial to uplift mood.
That said, these oils can also prove to be dangerous for your skin. You must always consider a few things, such as diluting before use and thoroughly checking its ingredients. To avoid any medical emergencies, make sure you study enough about the oil before using it.
You can only determine the best essential oil for you by checking its qualities as well as your health condition. Choose wisely, and enjoy the ultimate scent of essential oils!